T16 Job application

To whom it may concern,

I would like to be considered for the role of Urban Design Officer at Croydon Council.

I have a passion for the built environment and a keen interest in the development and future of the city. I am a qualified architect and have been working in a London based practise for the last two years. Whilst undertaking my RIBA part 2 I also completed a Masters degree in Spatial Planning and Urban Design in collaboration with Design for London at London Metropolitan University. I feel that this training has furnished me with a skill set that puts me in good stead to take up the position you are offering within your Urban Design team. I have a good knowledge of current policies and objectives in London and the United Kingdom.
During my time working with ‘A N Architects’ I worked on a mixed use development in Hackney, London. I was responsible for arranging and leading meetings with the client, council members, contractors, consultants and the local housing association as well as producing specifications, schedules and construction drawings. The project was to redevelop the site of an existing 1950s Baptist Church just off Mare Street. The site was owned by the Baptist Church who planned to demolish the building and erect a new church and community centre to house their growing congregation. In order to fund this, the church sold the site to a housing association that would then develop the scheme with just over half the area dedicated to two seven storey shared ownership housing stock arranged around a private courtyard shared with the new Baptist church. Throughout the term of this project I was offered an insight into the policies and inner workings of the planning department at Hackney. In meetings I chaired my role was key to ensuring that each party had a voice and were treated fairly. I played diplomat and aimed to ensure that the aspirations of the client were communicated in a language that was familiar to the contractors whilst also highlighting the areas of value to the members of the council. I also assisted with breaking down the policy documents and sustainability targets set by the housing association and council to the congregation of the Baptist Church and outlining the construction constraints on behalf of the contractors in order that no member felt uneasy with the proceedings. Having identified and agreed the priorities of each phase I published and circulated the minutes of all meetings held.

I am creative and hard working. I have high aspirations for the opportunity to work with you at Croydon and am only satisfied when I know that I have committed everything I have to a project in order to see it succeed. I also see the realities and constraints that may affect that implementation of a scheme. I will always aim to find value in each exercise I carry out within the design process. I enjoy collaborative work and believe that creative problem solving stems from sustained research and analysis into each facet of a proposal. A patient approach is a key asset. I am keen to aid Croydon in improving the quality of the built environment, whether it is public realm, housing, infrastructure or community based projects.
I am proficient with AutoCAD, Vectorworks and Microstation as well as the full Adobe suite. I also enjoy measured hand drawing and find diagrammatic sketching an invaluable tool for quickly and efficiently communicating ideas and concepts with others.

I believe that the diverse workload and prospects of collaborating with practicing professionals in the area will provide a nourishing environment for me to continue developing as a good urban designer.


Yours faithfully,



M A Charlton

No comments:

Post a Comment